Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hello World, It's Me, Claire

It's been far too long since I've posted anything here but I promise I have legitimate excuses:

1. The week leading up to this one was the busiest I've had yet with school/pledging responsibilities
2. I've been home for the past week! (best week ever yippee)
3. I've been spending my extra time catching up with friends & my yoga practice

Anyways! Here I am with bundles of things to type. Firstly, I'm packing to go back to Ottawa on Sunday and I just came to the realization that I will have to wear my parka on the plane. Why you ask? Well one of the reasons I came home during our fall reading week (blessing in disguise) was to load up on my winter clothes. Tonight while packing I gave myself a premature pat on the back before I had realized that I hadn't packed ANY of my winter jackets yet (let's just say I have a little more than 5...). This means I'll have to bring a total of three, yes 3, suitcases back to Ottawa with me. I may look like an over-packer but my excuse is that I'm still in the middle of a move (two months in shh). 

This week in Edmonton has made me more thankful than ever for everything that I have here. To begin with, an amazing family. I've had the chance to spend some time with both parents, grabbing lunch or running errands, and a lot of time with my sister (even though it was mainly chauffeuring her around town). I will never take a house for granted again. A house with a washer and dryer that you don't have to pay for, a full fridge, a car for just me to get from point A to B in less than half an hour (ps OC transpo I'm still bitter towards you). Anyways, long story short, I have become thankful for my family and household more than I ever have been.

Secondly, I've had a chance to spend time with good friends. From teammates (who I consider family), to best friends that I've had since I was a toddler, I've had coffee dates and hang out sessions with a lot of people who mean the world to me. I not only got to catch up with my best friend Lauren, but my favourite hockey team (Edmonton Oilers of course) on Tuesday as they beat the Vancouver Canucks. Wednesday I returned to Rexall Place (the hockey arena in Edmonton) to watch some friends on the Everett Silvertips take on the Edmonton Oilkings. Although the Silvertips were defeated, the game was entertaining and the Rexall beer was refreshing as always. Last night (Thursday) I got to watch my ex-boyfriend (still good friend) play volleyball in a high level men's league in Edmonton which was also quite the treat. Today being almost the end to my time at home, I spent with my dad and sister mostly, grabbing lunch and running errands before having a dinner date with the formerly mentioned ex-boyfriend/buddy situation. I've come to realize that everything in life doesn't have to have a label and if you enjoy someone's company, you should embrace it, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Tomorrow will be a busy day finishing up packing and running around before the annual CUCA Spooka that my former university puts on. I can't wait to get all dressed up (as Jane from Tarzan), and have one last night with my (ex) volleyball team before heading back East. 

This week has been truly amazing, and was a much needed break from all the craziness that has been taking place in Ottawa, time commitment-wise. Although I've had a beyond fantastic time at home, it is going to be most difficult to say goodbye to everyone, some more than others. Let's just say that many-a-tear will be shed between now and Sunday morning when I will be dragging my (hungover) tush onto a plane headed to YOW. 

My eyes have been opened to many things this week, unconditional love, the value of memories, and the level of importance to tell those close to you how much you care, being a few. I don't want to have to say goodbye to all of these people again but I have to keep reminding myself that I'll be back in one and a half months (more like two full, long, dreary months... but I try not to tell myself that).

Until next time

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment