Thursday, September 22, 2011

Reflections

So today I had to go to a funeral and although I wasn't extremely close to the one who was lost, the service really got me thinking about life. 

First of all how important family is. The family got up to speak today, first the daughters, then the granddaughters, and everything they were saying hit me really hard. I'm extremely close with my Dad and Mom and I can't imagine losing either of them. I think everyone goes through a few phases in life, idolizing their parents, hatred towards their parents (or just pure bratty-ness), and then a stronger love than ever towards them. Luckily, I can say I'm finally in the third stage. My parents have done so much for me and although I got kind of sick of the 11 o'clock weeknight curfew, and the not-much-after 2am one on weekends, now that I'm away for school, I appreciate everything they have done. They have managed to raise a pretty responsible and mature person for my age. I opted out on drinking tonight and last, choosing sleep over shenanigans. I'm happy my parents taught me the value of education, confidence, and bravery. Most importantly I'm happy my parents showed me a perfect example of unconditional love, which I hope I can teach to my children, and share with my future husband one day. I love my dad, mom, and sister more than they will ever know. 

Secondly, friends are everything, especially to me. I am so grateful to have a close group of girlfriends who I know I can talk to about absolutely anything, and although they may have an opinion on the topic they never judge me for who I am or what decision I end up making. My friends are an amazing group of people, most who I love with literally all of my heart. I think Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City was very wise when she suggested that "Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with". 

Last but not least, the service today really highlighted what a perfect marriage should look like. The couple had been together for 63 years. I can't imagine being 63, let alone spending that many years with a single person. They kept on referring to how strong their love was and how it was evident every single day. For those who are close to me, they know I can't wait to get married. To have a husband to take care of, to have that aspect of unconditional love in my everyday life, and someone to be my best friend and my teammate to take on the big bad world with. I dream of not only my wedding day, but the birth of my first child (if we decide we want kids...), and the day I get to celebrate my 50th anniversary. I am a self proclaimed hopeless romantic, but I think you need to shoot for the stars if you want to achieve a marriage that literally lasts a lifetime. I can't wait for my love story to begin. 

Anyways, long story short, if you love someone, tell them. If you're grateful for your parents/grandparents/siblings let them know. Don't let a day go by where you're simply living an average life, because life is a true gift that most people take for granted these days. 

-C 

No comments:

Post a Comment